Most rational fans assumed Oklahoma would probably not come out on top against Kansas in Lawrence. While the Sooners didn’t beat the Jayhawks, the overall play of the Oklahoma offense had to leave you with optimism.
The Sooners were flawed, yes. However, through all the turnovers, missed free throws, ill-advised shots and Kansas runs, you could see a path where OU wins this game. Because despite all the frustrating play tonight, the Sooners felt this close to getting over the hump and taking out KU.
- OU is a veteran squad, but you could tell that the two grad transfers, Miles Reynolds and Aaron Calixte, were a little shook at Allen Fieldhouse. Both turned the ball over a bit much and didn’t quite get hot. While I know this was a baptism by fire, hopefully they can work out the kinks.
- Jamuni McNeece was desperately needed against the size of this Kansas team. The Sooners couldn’t do much to stop Adoke Azuibuike down low much of the game.
- For such a rough offensive performance, you gotta love how OU scrapped on defense.
- Both of these teams are just brutal from three. That was tough on the eyes.
- Daily reminder that Jamal Bieniemy is going to be an absolute star.
- Christian James was pretty suffocated by the Kansas defense, but caught on late pretty decently.
Overall, this was a positive performance for the Sooners and something to build from as conference play rolls on. Grade: B+
Up Next: Bedlam in Norman.